Friday, May 28, 2010

Summer Reading

I'm the kid who NEVER did his summer reading for school. It seemed like a bad deal... I mean its not like I got to take the best parts of summer into the long school year (sleeping in, random games of sandlot baseball and home run derby breaking out at any moment, ice cream trucks, etc.), so why should I have to take such a unfortunate part of school and let it be part of my glorious summer?

However, I did do some pretty serious summer reading one summer... the summer of 1998. That was about the time I began reading the Bible daily. Since that time I wish I could tell that I've always love to read Scripture and that each time I open that old book God whispers really cool stuff in my ear and my hair turns bright white (like in the old ten commandments movie) and I know exactly what God wants me to do. But that hardly ever happens!

what I usually find is that I hear God speak most clearly through Scripture when I read it together with other people and we look into that book and take it seriously enough to ask questions about what we read in it and seek to find ways to put into practice what we discover God inviting us to do and be.

This is what we'll be doing together during the Summer HUB.

Last summer we, the youth of Aldersgate, read through the book of Acts together. And that is something that I think we'll do again sometime soon. But this summer we'll be spending our time reading through two shorter epistles, Galatians and Colossians.

In the month of June we'll take on Galatians.

And what I will be doing... and what I challenge each of our youth to do... is to read through the whole letter every two days. There's 6 chapter in Galatians -- that just 3 short chapters each day.

If you'll commit to this practice then our time of discussion at the HUB will be exciting, deep, and helpful to us as we seek to be not only hearers but doers of God's word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger