Thursday, December 3, 2009

Visiting and The Advent/Christmas Seasons

At Aldersgate UMC we begin the season of Advent w/ an evening called "family advent night." We get our young families, children, youth, and some others together to learn about bit about how to celebrate Advent. Our children and youth sing and we all prepare some holiday gift baskets to be delivered to those in our congregation who are "shut-in."

Last year Stephanie and the kidos and I went but we didn't take a basket to deliver. This year we decided that we would take one to deliver. When the night came to an end and it was time to take a basket I had about half dozen excuses run through my mind why we didn't need to take one. "We do a lot for the church." "We already have such a busy week." "I don't really want to impose my young, rambunctious family on a couple of senior adults who are used to peace and quiet." And I even sunk so low as to think, "Plus chances are they will want to talk our ears off forever... and that can really be awkward."

But fortunately Stephanie and Jonah were there to see to it that we went home w/ a basket to deliver.

That next night we loaded up the whole rowdy bunch and spent about an hour visiting w/ an older couple who was so happy to have the basket AND our company. Our kids WERE crazy, but I think the couple we were visiting loved the action! We did stay longer than we had planned, but we couldn't think of a better way to have spent that time!

And as we left and were invited to stop by again soon, I thought to myself, "This is what Advent and Christmas are really ALL about!" They are seasons in which we celebrate and remember the way God visited us in Jesus and we learn how to do the things he left us here to do. And I don't know about you, but I need the church to tell me that my excuses are out of season and its time to get busy living in light of God's coming to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger