Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The First to See the Baby

This week while I was in Nashville for Christmas one of my good friends, Erik and his wife Andrea welcomed their first born son into the world. Since they live in Nashville, Stephanie and I got the chance to run up to the hospital to visit w/ them and to meet baby Jack!

Jack is already a pretty popular guy w/ a steady flow of visitors while we were there. As I was holding Jack I thought, "Wow, this is Erik's son! I'll get to watch this little guy grow up and to watch and see what God does in his life. And somewhere along the way I'll be able to tell Jack that I remember when he fit nicely on his dad's forearm and hand."

Friends, family, pastors, etc... these are the people who call and stop by, who bring flowers, balloons, and Starbucks and warm wishes to that hospital room.

I thought about the people who were the first to see and welcome Mary and Joseph's first born son. They tell us a lot about how the story of this baby is going to go. Shepherds, some smart pagan people w/ some gifts, Simeon and Anna are among the first to see this newborn baby. And Mary ponders all these things in her heart as she holds her son wondering what ever parent wonders, what will my child grow to be? What does God hope to do in and through this child??

Baby Jack, welcome to the world! We who were the first to see you join w/ your mom and dad hoping and wondering what work God will do in and through you. Sorry I didn't bring you any gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger